I came across the idea for this cute pull apart tree on Pinterest and thought it would be super easy to make a tasty vegan version ( and it was!) There are so many Christmas parties happening this time of year and this would be the perfect starter to bring along!
It’s super easy but you will need a food processor or a decent blender. The cashew spinach dip recipe does make extra but I find you need to blend a larger amount of cashews in order to get it creamy enough, so you can save the extra and use as a delicious pasta sauce for an easy meal!
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated vegan cheese (optional)
- 1 package vegan puff pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 200C with a Fan
2. Blend your cashews, water, garlic, nooch, spinach, mustard and salt and pepper until smooth. Taste the mixture to make sure it is seasoned well.
3. Lay out the puff pastry on a greased baking tray, fold it in half and cut it so there are 2 layers. Cut the pastry in a tall triangle (keeping the 2 smaller ones to the side)
4. Over 1 layer on pastry, spread the cashew mixture in a 1cm-ish layer evenly over the triangle. Sprinkle cheese over top and put the second pastry layer on top.
5. Cut slices in the triangle leaving a non cut line down the middle and twist the cut parts (see photo below) Do the same with the smaller triangles.
6. Put in the oven for 15-18 minutes checking on the colour of the pastry. Take out the little ones around 18 minutes. Continue to bake the large tree until golden brown.
This was super easy and fun to make and I think the tree shape combined with the green filling make for a fun festive treat! Could serve it with a small dish of sweet chili sauce as well to add to the Christmas theme!