Spaghetti is one of my all time favourite meals. It it so comforting and hearty and you can pack it full of lots of healthy veggies. To add some more heartiness and nutrition, I love making these lentil balls to go with it.
I’ve simplified this recipe over time for no reason other than pure laziness and I’m glad I have, because this most recent time I made them they were better than ever. So here is the updated recipe.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 cup oats
- 3 tbsp milled flax seeds
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 (or more) cloves garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- Put your lentils in a pot with 2.5 cups of water and the stock cube. Bring it to boil then turn down to low and simmer for 14 minutes.
- Throw the oats into a blender and whizz them around a bit so they turn into a rough flour texture.
- If you have a good blender then this is going to be really easy. Just put all the ingredients into said blender, including the cooked lentils and blend until it’s combined. If you don’t have a good blender then just dump everything into a bowl and make sure to chop the garlic, then combine.
- Once you’ve got the dough ready, roll them up into balls and bake at 200 C for 15-20 minutes.
- Before serving or once plated, pour some tomato sauce on top of the balls to moisten the outside and make them look pretty.
This recipe makes 10 – 12 balls, I often half the recipe when cooking for 2 if I don’t want leftovers.
You could use this recipe as is or customize it with you favourite spices. Make sure you taste the dough before rolling into balls to make sure they are flavourful enough, no one wants bland balls for dinner. If you try this recipe, please let me know how it goes!